New Subject: Sumpten fer nuttin'
Perhaps it is my poor southern upbringing but I really like being able to make something from discarded and worthless items. As a ham radio operator I was always taken with the guys that could design and build their own equipment. Sometimes it would look a bit "hammy" (dynamo tape labels a few extra holes, etc) but to be able to build a useful thing out of parts and pieces garnered from other old radio's and Tv's seemed just a hoot.
I guess I am just a sucker or maybe I spent too much time listening to the old folk's talk about the good ol days. Perhaps they now have a pill for that. Anyway it seems to me that so much of our culture in the the US is completely wasteful...throwing out useful things that can be re-purposed or reused. I have friends that subscribe to the policy that if you haven't used it in the last three months...then you should throw it out! Absurd! They live in sterile clean houses with no clutter and only the latest versions of magazines telling them what the big "O" says to buy. I think this is sad. I have radio magazines from the 1930's that I love to browse and read. (before I was born). Anyway I intend to post some projects, idea's and maybe even some pic's of home-made things built from scrap, flotsam and jetsam, etc. etc. Perhaps this might be inspire you to a life of being a horder...packrat and having too many "irons in the fire".
Good Luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment